Friday, June 1, 2012

Moving along!

Things are moving right along here at the Farm! Today marks the first day of summer vacation for my daughter who just graduated Kindergarten and thus begins a flurry of activity to get the rabbitry in order before July and coming up with fun things to do to keep my girls from being bored. Hopefully, the two will collide and I'll find things for us to do that the girls find fun, but that also benefit the rabbitry! Today, for example, I'm headed over to the feed store for two water bottles for the cages I ordered online, but I told Moo (my 6 year old) that she and Toots (19 months) each pick out a toy for the bunnies. Then we'll go across the street and get a Slurpee, since Moo discovered how delightfully refreshing they are on a 100* day. I just got an e-mail from Sarah (my rabbit breeder) letting me know that she received our deposit for the buck and doe we will be picking up in July! And we have officially named the rabbits Gnomeo and Juliet. I listed off about 20 pairs of names, including things like Jack & Jill, Hansel & Gretal, Sugar & Spice, Fred & Ginger and of course Ron & Hermione. But she had decided on Gnomeo and Juliet and wouldn't hear of anything else. So Gnomeo and Juliet it is. So the bunnies have been named, the cages have been ordered, my membership and farm registry are being processed by the ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association) and I have set up this blog and a corresponding farm e-mail and have carved myself a farm logo stamp. I have completed reading Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits, which I will review on here in a few days, and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my ARBA membership packet so I can read their guidebook as well. I feel pretty confident in where I am now in terms of preparations and the girls can't wait for the bunnies to get here. Frankly, neither can I!

No comments:

Post a Comment