Friday, July 13, 2012

Oasis Water Bottles

This is not a compensated post.  I do not know anyone at Oasis nor did I get these bottles for free or anything like that.  I did, however, get some average water bottles at the local feed store when first setting up the cages for the rabbits.  I thought all the bottles looked the same and just picked one that didn't look "flimsy" or "cheap".  After two days of use, one of the bottles started a constant leak.  I mean it took about 45 minutes before the 32 oz bottle was totally empty and her waste pan was flooded with 32 oz of water.  Fun.  I checked out the bottle myself, limited as my knowledge is about water bottles and found nothing lodged in the tube, nothing blocking the little ball from falling back in place...I couldn't figure out how to fix it.  I called the feed store and explained to the lady on the other end of the line that I had purchased the bottles a month ago but had just started using them two days ago and that one was not working and could I bring it in to exchange or repair or something?  I had two long haired rabbits and it was over 100* outside, they needed water.  So I took the bottle in and she explained that I could not return it because it had been more than 30 days, but I happened to mention that I was starting a rabbitry and didn't have much experience with these bottles and wanted to know which brand to buy in the future so that as my herd grew I would not continue to buy faulty bottles.  I think the thought of future purchases softened her heart, because she recommended the Oasis brand and let me exchange the faulty bottle for one of the better ones.  She explained that the other bottle I had purchased relied on a spring to hold the ball against the end of the tube, keeping in the water.  Sometimes, the spring gets knocked lose and is no longer pushing against the ball, which allows the water to seep out.  This Oasis bottle has no springs and relies instead on two heavy metal balls, one behind the other.  Their combine weight is enough to keep the ball in the mouth of the tube.  So far I have really noticed the difference.  The other old bottle does seem to leak a bit, though it has not yet broken, while the Oasis bottle stays pretty darn dry.  I bought a second Oasis to use on the other cage, and am just waiting until Gnomeo drinks all his water so I can replace it with this one.  I will still keep the other bottle for emergencies - seeing as how I was not prepared when the first bottle broke, it seems a good idea to have an extra one now.  So if you are looking for a good water bottle brand for any small caged critter, the Oasis bottles come in a range of sizes and I haven't had any problems with it so far.  Seems to be quite the well made little bottle.  Let me know if you have any other product tips for me, and I'll keep you informed as to my findings as well.  Then we can all learn from each other and waste a little less money!

No comments:

Post a Comment