Thursday, July 26, 2012

Discoveries...

I have learned a few things in the past weeks, about how to keep rabbits, how NOT to keep rabbits, habits my particular rabbits have and things that I need to change or modify in order to keep a happy home and rabbitry. 
*I have learned, for example, that you should always have casters on your stacked cages.  It is practically impossible to move two stacked cages with rabbits inside when you have to clean up a pee-pee puddle that has magically appeared UNDER the litter tray.
*I have learned that keeping rabbit cages on tile is not the best idea because when those pee-pee puddles appears, they like to soak into the grout and make me spend forever on my hands and knees with the bleach.
*I have learned that rabbits like to pee in the corner of their cages, as far into the corner as possible and since there is like a 3 inch drop to the litter tray, half of this pee will not make it into the litter tray due to basic rabbit anatomy and angles of trajectory.  Thus all of the previous lessons learned.
*I have also learned that they make pee guards for cages, and that they are a good idea.
*I have learned that rabbits like to play with whiffle balls, you don't even need to load them with hay.
*I have learned that it is important to look for hay that is LONG, not broken into bits to shove into a bag.  Rabbits do not seem to eat the little bits and they end up in the litter tray.  They like the long stalks, period.
*I have learned that rabbits have sharp little claws and you should NOT wear a sleeveless shirt when trying to make them do something they don't want to do.  Unless you like that I-just-survived-an-attack-from-an-angry-cat look.  Then by all means, go for it.
*I have learned that an apron is just as much a grooming tool as a brush.  It protects you from the errant scratch, protects your clothes from 800 tiny little fur balls that will never come off and makes you feel very official.
*I have learned that Gnomeo likes cardboard tubes filled with hay, Juliet thinks their dumb.  Gnomeo will play with it, eat the hay out of it, then chew up the tube until it's gone.  Juliet will pull the hay out to eat it, then never touch the tube again.
*I have learned that they will tolerate being accidentally poked in the eye by an almost 2 year old and not turn into some kind of evil rabbit bent on revenge.
*I have learned that water bottles with springs in the drinking mechanism are the most annoying water bottles on the planet, ball on ball is the way to go.
*I have learned that trying to watch t.v. at 10 at night anywhere near the rabbit cages is a bad idea.  You never realize how loud rabbits are until that point.  They drink a lot and it is LOUD.
*I have learned that plastic sheeting is my friend and protects my grout from random pee-pee puddles.
*I have learned not to let my husband touch the rabbit cages, to the demise of my beloved plastic sheeting.  See *I have learned #1 and know that without wheels, if you try to move rabbit cages you will just tear holes in the plastic sheeting used to protect the grout.
*I have learned that using newspaper to absorb the pee in the litter tray keeps the smell down as opposed to not using newspaper and letting it pool to be cleaned later.
*I have learned that it is almost never a good idea to give someone a detailed account of your trials in the rabbit world, unless they are genuinely interested.  When someone asks "How's it going with the rabbits?" They do not want to know all the details, no matter how interesting they may be.  Keep it to a "Great!" and move on.
*I have learned that every 3 days is a comfortable amount of time for us to go between litter changes.  The rabbits are in the house and it is a really hot summer, but we do not smell them at all until around day 4.  So 3 days is good for us.
*I have learned that the more newspaper I use to line the trays, the easier the clean up is...but then I have to use a lot of newspaper.  I am currently looking for an unlimited supply of free newsprint.
The list goes on and on, but to make a long list short, I currently have an order in for a set of casters, pee guards and new plastic sheeting to replace the one with the holes in it.  As soon as I get these things, I'll do a post about the set up that works for me - being a small raiser with cages inside.  I think those three things are going to make daily life SO much nicer for me...and the bunnies too, but mainly for me.

1 comment:

  1. "*I have learned that it is almost never a good idea to give someone a detailed account of your trials in the rabbit world, unless they are genuinely interested.  When someone asks "How's it going with the rabbits?" They do not want to know all the details, no matter how interesting they may be.  Keep it to a "Great!" and move on."

    Oh my gosh! You had me laughing all the way, but this one was by far my favorite. Every point you made is SO TRUE! I love my rabbits because they live outside in a shed. If they lived inside... I don't think I would love them as much. Welcome to the Rabbit World.

    ReplyDelete