Friday, August 31, 2012

Grooming an Angora Rabbit

First off, I am in no way an expert at grooming my rabbits yet.  I haven't been doing it for very long and am still figuring out the best way to do it.  The system I am currently using involves putting a junky rag towel down on the grooming table (for easy clean up in case of accidents of the pee/poop variety) and hard sided very wide bowl or basket or container of some type.  When I first did this, I had two little bags sitting on the table - one labeled clean hair and one labeled mats.  But it was too hard to get my hand in and out of the bags while rabbit wrangling, so now I dump the clean hair into the bowl and the mats I just leave on the table next to the bowl and deposit them in the appropriate bags after the bunny is back in the cage.  I also wear an apron made of thick cotton to protect my clothes from being covered with hair and my body from excessive scratches.  I use mainly a stiff metal bristle comb, almost like a flea comb, but I also have a slicker brush, and a pair of school, round tipped scissors.
I mainly use the comb because it gets quite a bit of the hair out just fine.  I use my fingers to try to coax apart the mats that I find, or I treat them like my daughters' hair and grab the top, closest to the body and comb out the very bottom of the mat, then a bit higher, then higher, until the mat is gone.  Sometimes, I have to use the scissors to just cut the darn thing out.  Juliet seems to get terrible mats right behind her front legs that extend to her hindlegs...an oval cornicopia of mattedness on either side of her body.  And for some reason, her white hair is so much harder for me to see and separate mats in than it is for me to do the same with Gnomeo.  I end up using the scissors more on Juliet than Gnomeo.  But I still save the mats...they can be used for all sorts of projects, just not spinning. 
I couldn't do it while taking this picture, since I needed a hand to hold the camera, but usually I keep one hand on the rabbit and one hand combing.  I hold the rabbit still and his coat firmly, while trying to gently go through his hair without pulling too much.  If I get snagged on a knot or mat, I stop and focus on that area until the tangle is clear. I try to do the entire rabbit in one sitting, but if there are a lot of mats, I will tackle about half of them and leave the rest for another grooming session.  The rabbits get tired of sitting there and while the brushing doesn't seem to bother them, I do think they have a limited amount of patience for it.  I keep the collection bowl nearby so I can easily dump the hair as it accumulates on my comb. 
After a grooming session is over, I give the bunnies some love.  I scratch their head and give them lots of pets and talk to them a lot.  I feel like talking to them during this time of positive interaction will help them associate my voice with safety and help them to be calm and relaxed if the need for me to do something out of their normal activities should every occur.  Then they go back in their cages and I sort and put away the collected hair into appropriate bags.  I am currently keeping a bag of mats and a bag of clean hair for each rabbit.  I may end up combining them once I spin it into yarn, but for now they are in their own bags. 
So that is it!  It takes me maybe 15 minutes per rabbit, depending on how tolerant they are and how matted their hair is...but 15 minutes is usually what I spend.  Any longer than that and they really don't want to be there anymore.  However I will spend longer than that in the cuddle time after the grooming.  Maybe someday I'll figure out how to post a video and show you just what it's like, wouldn't that be something?

No comments:

Post a Comment